Wondering how to send a letter in the mail?
Our Virtual Mailroom is here to help. Use the discount code WORKFROMHOME to get 15% off all mail services. Send USPS First Class Mail starting at $2.54 & USPS Certified Mail Starting at $10.18, anywhere in the USA (after WORKFROM discount)
Click here for Bulk Mail - Send International Mail for an additional $1.40 per envelope. Please check USPS delivery Alerts for International Mail due to COVID-19
Click here for a Single Letter
Mailform is the easiest way to send a letter, whether online or offline. If you wanna skip the hassle, the envelopes, the stamps, and the walk, you can use Mailform when sending a letter (or document, form etc) via USPS First Class mail or USPS Certified Mail. Here's how to send a letter in the mail, in a few easy steps:
Write the letter! (in case you're not sure how to write a letter, check out How to Write a Letter on Wikihow)
Head to Mailform and upload the letter you want to send:
Once you've uploaded your letter(s), hit ‘NEXT’
Tell us who to the letter is for (the recipient)
Enter a return address (this is where the letter should go if it's returned)
Choose from double sided, printing in color, or USPS Certified Mail (and get a tracking link).
Pay however you want - using a credit card or using your PayPal account. Once you've paid, we will print an envelope with your recipient address and return address, ensure there is sufficient postage to mail the letter, hand the letter off to the USPS, and send you a delivery confirmation via email, when the letter arrives at its destination.
Here’s our "how to send a letter" video, in case you need more visual instructions. You can do it with Mailform online, quickly and easily:
What is Mailform?
Mailform.io is the easiest way to send a letter, document, form or PDF via USPS Mail. The Mailform app exists in the cloud, which means you can access it from any browser, on your desktop or on your mobile device. You do not need to sign up for an account or subscription or anything like that. Just upload a document, enter the addresses, pay and send. We make it really convenient to send physical mail, from the comfort of your home or office. Mailform already has a lot of incredibly useful features for consumers and small businesses that make it a convenient way to send a letter online:
- Multiple Printing Options: With Mailform, you can print in color, black and white, or single or double sided. This gives you the flexibility you need, no matter what you're looking for.
- Tracking Numbers: Get USPS Tracking numbers for USPS Certified Mail, USPS Priority Mail and USPS Priority Mail Express, and get FedEx Tracking numbers for FedEx Standard Overnight
- Bulk Discounts: As your volume gets bigger, your price per piece automatically gets discounted.
- Bulk Business Mail: Easily send mail to multiple recipients. Perfect for sending demolition notices, abutter's notices, settlement notices, past due invoices, medical recall letters, and more.
- Multiple Integrations - Quickbooks, Harvest, Xero, Google Doc, Box, Freshbooks, FreeAgent - this is perfect for sending invoices. Mailform automatically imports your invoices or documents from the service of your choice, and makes it super easy to print and mail the relevant ones. Thousands of invoices have been sent using our integrations, and businesses on average recover 52% of the invoices they mail out.
- Mailform Android App: Mobile app for frequent users, available on the Google Play store.
- Multiple Speed Options: USPS Priority Mail Express, USPS Priority Mail, and USPS First Class Mail and USPS Certified Mail. You can tailor your orders to match your cost and speed options. Priority Mail Express is the fastest service we offer, followed by USPS Priority Mail, followed by Certified/First Class mail. To learn more about how our USPS Priority Mail services work, head over to: https://www.mailform.io/lp/usps-priority-mail
- Mailform for Teams: Easily get your entire team onto Mailform, under centralized and invoiced billing. Perfect for insurance companies, engineering firms, and other teams who need to send mail together.
How do I send a letter?
There's no one way to send a letter - there are many ways to send a letter, and how you do it depends on what your letter is about, who the recipient is, your time constraints, your cost constraints, and more. We've compiled a handy list of options for you.
- The cheapest way to send a letter is by email (gmail, hotmail and yahoo are free)
- The fastest way to send a letter is by email (gmail, hotmail and yahoo are free, and your recipient will receive the letter instantly)
- The cheapest way to send a letter by snail mail is by heading to the nearest United States Post Office. You wont pay any premium for an online service.
- If you want to send a letter cheaply, but want to skip the line to the post office, you can use a service like Mailform.io
- The fastest way to send a letter by snail mail is via FedEx, using SendOvernightMail.com
- If you want to make sure you get a tracking number, your cheapest option is USPS Certified Mail
- If you want to ensure a human signs for the letter, get a USPS Certified Mail with Return Receipts (this can also be sent via SendOvernightMail)
How to send a letter by email
If you're sending a letter by email, you'll need a few items
- An email address of your own
- The recipients email address
- A subject line (this is essentially a preview, that lets the recipient know what the letter is about)
- The letter.
To bring these all together, here's how to send a letter by email:
Step 1: Write the letter. Some tools you could use to write the letter include Microsoft Word, Google Docs, Sublime Text, TextEdit, Evernote (or any notes app) and more.
Step 2: Log into your email and compose a new message. Enter the subject line and the recipient's email address.
Step 3: Copy and paste in the letter from wherever you wrote it
Step 4: Proofread your message. Make sure it strikes the tone you want (remember, a lot of tone is lost in writing) and check it for spelling or grammatical errors.
Step 5: Hit send!
How to send a letter by snail mail
There are a few ways you can send a letter via snail mail. What you'll need depends on which way you're going.
To send a letter via snail mail the cheapest way possible, here's what you need
- The recipient's (the person you're sending the letter to) mailing address
- The letter
- A sheet of paper to print the letter on (or multiple sheets, depending on how long it is)
- A computer and printer, or a pen
- An envelope large enough to stuff the letter on)
- Your return address
- Sufficient postage or enough money to pay for postage.
- The location of your nearest USPS Post office
How to send a letter via snail mail, by going to the post office (the cheapest way)
Step 1: Write the letter and print it out.
Some tools you could use to write the letter using your computer are include Microsoft Word, Google Docs, Sublime Text, TextEdit, Evernote (or any notes app) and more. Once written on your computer, print the letter out on the paper you got. If you're using a pen, you can write on the paper directly.
Step 2: Write the mailing/recipient address and the return address on the envelope, on the closed side
The mailing address should go in the center of the closed side of the envelope. The return address should go in the top left. Postage information will go on the top right. The graphic below can help your orientation:
Step 3: Fold and stuff the letter in the envelope.
Your easiest bet for a letter sized envelope is to do a z-fold. If you're not sure, check out: https://www.formaxprinting.com/blog/2010/08/printing-lingo-what-is-a-z-fold/
Step 4: Lick and close the envelope, then head to the post office to mail it.
If you already have stamps that you're sure will work, you can affix the stamp to the top right of the closed side of the envelope, and drop it in a nearby mailbox. Otherwise, head over to the post office to weigh and buy postage. Once at the post office, you can head over to a postal worker for help, or you can use an automated kiosk.
How to send a letter via snail mail, using Mailform (the quick way) Scroll to the Top!
Check out our review on Lifehacker! https://lifehacker.com/mailform-will-print-and-mail-your-documents-for-three-b-1824268286. If you're looking to send fast mail overnight, Mailform supports the USPS Overnight Service (via USPS Priority Mail Express). In addition, you can send via USPS Priority Mail for expedited, but less expensive service.
Mailform now also supports FedEx Standard Overnight service (as of February 2019).
Wondering how to send a letter online via FedEx?
If you're wondering how to send a Certified Letter, specific instructions are available here.
If you're interested in a greater amount of speed and bulk options our sister service SendOvernightMail enables you to print and Mail via Fedex (orders are shipped via Fedex Kinkos): using Fedex Overnight, Fedex 2 Day, Fedex Express Saver, Fedex Ground, and Fedex Ground Home Delivery. All Fedex and USPS Priority options come with delivery confirmation via email, and you'll get a tracking number that you can independently use to verify that your documents were delivered. And email email@example.com with any questions, comments, suggestions or concerns.